Platinum: One of The Most Expensive Precious Metals

Platinum raw stone

Platinum is the world’s most valuable precious metal. In nature, it’s 30 times rarer than gold. Its elegance and radiance make this silvery-white element especially popular among sophisticated jewelry wearers. Read on to find out more information about this metal, from its various alloys to its price.

 

“Little Silver”

Platinum is a heavy yet extremely soft and pliable precious metal. Its name comes from the Spanish word platino, meaning “little silver.” This is because it bears a strong resemblance to silver.

For a long time, this meant that platinum was regarded as less valuable than gold. However, due to its unique properties, this metal is now receiving the esteem it deserves and is more coveted than ever.

Properties: The Eternal Precious Metal

The use of platinum in jewelry dates all the way back to the ancient Egyptians and continues to this day. This precious metal is typically only used for exclusive pieces because it never tarnishes or loses its shine. What’s more, it’s also hypoallergenic, making it a great option for people with sensitive skin.

Scratches also have nothing on this metal: They may alter its shape but will never remove any of the material itself. This means platinum is difficult to damage and a better choice than other precious metals for rings that see daily use.

These properties are also symbolic and closely associated with lifelong devotion. This is why the jewelry industry has begun producing more platinum engagement and wedding rings. A single glance at a platinum ring is an immediate reminder of one’s pledge of eternal love.

Platinum weddings rings

The Weight and Purity of Platinum Jewelry

Platinum is usually weighed in troy ounces. One troy ounce equals 1.097 “regular” ounces, or 31.103 grams.

You can tell the quality of platinum jewelry by looking at its hallmark, a stamp that indicates the platinum content of the alloy. Like other precious metals, platinum used to be measured in karats. Today, we label platinum purity in parts per thousand. For example, “750 platinum” has 750 parts platinum for every thousand parts, which is equal to 75% pure platinum.

The Most Famous Platinum Alloys

Pure platinum, also known as 999 platinum, is too soft and unstable for jewelry production. Mixing it with other metals negates these undesirable qualities.

Copper is added to most platinum alloys to make it firmer, leaving the rest of the silvery-white metal’s unique characteristics intact. Other alloys may contain aluminum, palladium, and/or iridium.

We’ll discuss what sets these different alloys apart below.

999 platinum bar

960 Platinum: A Jack of all Trades

The most exclusive jewelry contains 96% pure platinum. The other 4% is copper, tungsten, cobalt, or another platinum group metal. Platinum alloys between 950 and 960 are known as “jeweler’s platinum” and have a vast array of applications.

950 Platinum: Near-Complete Purity

Containing 95% platinum and 5% other metals, 950 platinum is the most common alloy used in platinum jewelry. It’s nearly entirely platinum and, thus, extremely valuable!

The high level of purity means the alloy retains all the desirable properties of this precious metal. Rings made of 950 platinum are among the most long-lasting and durable pieces in the world of luxury jewelry.

950 platinum engagement ring

800 Platinum: An Exclusive Alloy

As you may have guessed, 800 platinum is 80% pure platinum. The other 20% is iridium, one of the heaviest metals. Combining these two extraordinary elements results in an extremely hard platinum alloy that’s perfect for pieces that need to be durable, such as wedding rings.

Jewelry made of this platinum-iridium mixture has a much brighter hue than other platinum alloys. In fact, it’s the best choice for combining with diamonds. These pieces make their presence known – there’s no ignoring this unique metal on your finger!

What other, less pure alloys are there?

Not all platinum varieties are created equal. Less valuable alloys contain 75, 60, or 58.5% platinum. However, with such a low platinum content, they’re not allowed to be called platinum.

How can I determine the value of the platinum in my jewelry?

If you’d like to know how much your platinum jewelry is worth, it’s pretty easy to calculate. First, weigh the piece using a jewelry scale. Then multiply this weight by its purity to the nearest thousandth. For example, if your jewelry’s platinum content is 750 parts per thousand, multiply the weight by 0.750. This will give you the total weight of the pure platinum.

To figure out the value of the platinum alone, multiply the pure platinum weight by the current price for platinum. You can find the current market value for platinum here: Platinum Price

Discover our Platinum Jewelry

Platinum jewelry has a unique, magical charm. It shines most beautifully in combination with diamonds or other gemstones. Every piece is truly striking. By wearing one of these valuable treasures, you’ll exude incomparable elegance and attract plenty of attention.

Discover a wide range of shimmering platinum jewelry on our platform FineJewels24!

Platinum rings

If you’re interested in other precious metals, check out our overview of silver and gold and learn more about these two fascinating metals!

 

FineJewels24 utilizes cookies in order to provide you with the best possible service. By using our site, you agree to our use of cookies. Ok